The University of Michigan just celebrated it’s 200th birthday. It began in 1817 in Detroit, and was moved to Ann Arbor in 1837. The President’s House on South University has been home to twelve University of Michigan Presidents, including the current one, Mark Schlissel. Built in 1840, it’s the oldest building on campus. It is one of four original houses constructed for faculty when the University moved to Ann Arbor from Detroit. In 1852, Henry Tappan became the first President of the University. He moved into one of the four houses, and that became the President’s house from then on. The house was substantially altered in 1891 during the 39-year tenure of the Unversity’s longest standing President, James Angell. Only one President, Harry Hutchins, didn’t live in the President’s house because he already had a home closeby. The house is currently 14,200 square feet, almost 3 times its original size.